I honestly have no idea how April went. I didn’t have a minute of rest all throughout the month which made it pass in a freaking BLUR.
I…MOVED? It was so unexpected! We made the decision at the end of the first week of April and we moved to our new place last Saturday. It was a very needed change in my life but a very bittersweet one nonetheless. I had so many memories attached to our old place, some of which I would like to move on from which…was hard, since I lived there so this feels like a fresh start. Plus, I had two major car accidents going home from the city (we lived in the suburbs) and driving on that dangerous road had started giving me major anxiety, and now we live right in the city which means that everything is close by! Even my school and the hospital(s).
NEXT, I’ve been putting together a huge blogging project that consumed every minute I wasn’t packing/unpacking, with sending emails, replying to them, figuring out logistics, putting everything together and it’s FINALLY done and ready for publication, all I have to do now is post scheduling which will take considerably less time than the previous stages. These two things combined means that I barely had any time to read, so much so that I haven’t read ANYTHING in the past week. Seriously, zilch.
The blog also reached 2K FOLLOWERS this month which is mind-blowing… and I posted a WHOLE ASS YOUTUBE VIDEO to celebrate, which was so so so far out of my comfort zone and I was so nervous for it to go up because I thought it would be embarrassing but it was….okay? And I actually had a lot of fun both filming and editing the video that I’m considering making more videos in the future (and maybe even starting a proper channel…who knows?). Another platform I made an executive decision for is my bookstagram: whereas before I used to follow a theme, I decided to stop doing that as it wasn’t working for me anymore, it was stifling my creativity and sucking the fun out of it so I’m going to start posting more candid and spontaneous pictures. You can follow my bookstagram shenanigans here.
Title = goodreads page.
I read 7 books which is…bleh for me if I’m being honest but I don’t feel bad about it in the slightest because I really did not have time for books and I read when I could/felt like it.
- Once Ghosted Twice Shy – Sapphic, cute, wanted it longer.
- On the Come Up – Powerful, ANGIE DID IT AGAIN.
- The Fever King – Queer, messy, brilliant, immigrant crisis.
- Enchantée – Interesting premise but boring execution.
- Prince On Paper – One hug of a book.
- We Hunt the Flame – Phenomenal character, atmospheric world, AAAAH.
- Love from A to Z – Unapologetically Muslim, happy, hopeful, precious.
You can find my YARC 2019 progress post here. I read 3 BOOKS that fit the challenge this month!
I’m also a little over halfway through Jade City by Fonda Lee, two thirds into the Bruja Born audiobook by Zoraida Cordova and just start Middlegame by Seanan McGuire.
book title = review
- A Duke by Default – Alyssa Cole
- Descendant of the Crane – Joan He
- Girls of Paper and Fire – Natasha Ngan
- The Fever King – Victoria Lee
- Belly Up – Eva Darrows
- Love from A to Z – S. K. Ali
- April 1st: To sum-up: March 2019.
- April 2nd: Cover Gush – That Kind of Guy by Talia Hibbert (+ a lil something more).
- April 7th: #DiverseBookBloggersDiscuss: Disability Representation in YA.
- April 8th: How I fell back in love with Blogging – the burn-out aftermath.
- April 10th: 5 Star Predictions: My Cover Crushes.
- April 14th: #DiverseBookBloggersDiscuss: Desi Voices. Desi Stories.
- April 15th: Zodiac Signs Book recommendations.
- April 21st: #DiverseBookBloggersDiscuss: Modern Poetry Criticisms.
- April 22nd: A love letter to Quiet YA + 12 Quiet Books I adore.
- April 24th: Tag: The Scavenger Hunt challenge.
- April 28th: #DiverseBookBloggersDiscuss: Our Generational Acquiescence of the White Fantasy.
- April 29th: 2K FOLLOWERS CELEBRATION – Reacting to your assumptions…in a video. Am I a Booktuber yet?
- Aline @ Fully Booked discusses our bias in boosting diverse titles in her post about the complexities of being an advocate for diverse books.
- Trang @ Bookidote wrote a very interesting post about Instagram pods and how to detect them.
- Nandini @ Unputdownable Books gave very helpful tips to use social media at your book blog’s advantage.
- Taasia @ Librae Paints Pages discusses her feelings towards 5 stars ratings.
- May @ Forever and Everly wrote a how-to post to help you make your blog look pretty.
- Marjo @ Pride Reads talks about how she’s -not- dealing with her reading slump and raises some great points.
- Julianna @ Paperblots wrote a super feel good post about her favourite moments as a book blogger.
- Vicky @ Vicky Who Reads is a blessing from the heavens and made a VERY detailed tutorial on how to make book covers into horizontal headers.
I…have 26 hefty posts planned for this month…26. POSTS. And big ones. Like I’ve hinted to above, I’ve been working (with a friend) on a blog series project that means a lot to me all throughout April and we finally get to reveal it in May. In LESS THAN A WEEK. On the 7th of May, to be exact, I will be sharing an introduction post and we’ll get on to posting from there. I know I’m keeping it pretty vague BUT YOU’LL GET TO KNOW EVERYTHING SOON AND I CANNOT WAIT! I poured so many hours of work and organization into it so I hope you’ll all like it.
I’m not sure how I’ll manage to write all the posts, especially since I only have a handful scheduled, and even more so because Ramadan is starting in a few days…um. But we’ll see. Mayhaps I have too much on my plate haha but I’ll manage like always do, especially because I’m honestly so passionate and excited about everything planned.
Also! Ramadan Mubarak if you observe, may it be a blessed and peaceful one ❤
A Very Large Expanse of Sea is this month’s Twitter mutual pick and I honestly have no idea when I would have read it if it wasn’t picked but I’m excited to see how I like it, especially since I heard very good things about it!! Rebel is going to be my first experience ever with historical romance and I’M SO PUMPED!!! I request the arc on a whim and I’ve just been getting increasingly excited about it since I got approved.
That’s it until next time.
Did you read any of these books? What did you think of them? What books did you read this month?
Oh! And if you have any posts you think I should check out, leave them in the comments.
Hope you enjoyed, write to you soon.