Salaams friends and Ramadan Mubarak!
Today I’m here with a VERY different post that’s on the shorter side, but one I’m super excited about because IT’S AN ANNOUNCEMENT! I’m announcing the project I’ve been hinting to and working on for the past month or so!!!
A couple of months ago, I was thinking of doing a special post for Ramadan where I’d just have some Muslim folks talk about their experiences BUT THEN, my friend Adiba (@adiba_j on Twitter) who’s a Muslim author reached out to me and suggested we work on something together for Ramadan, which is when we discovered we had a lot of complementary ideas that would make this thing into a full-blown blog series project that can carry through the whole month and thus was born Muslim Voices Rise Up. What was supposed to be one post turned into sixteen and we couldn’t be happier with the turn-out.
What’s Muslim Voices Rise Up?
Muslim Voices Rise Up is a month-long project that will take place during Ramadan (May 7th to June 4th) starting today with this introductory post, during which we will be sharing all kinds of collaborative as well as individual posts about a wide variety of topics. We invited Muslim bloggers and authors alike from all walks of life to share their experiences with everyone who will happen to read the posts and follow along the series. Our aim with this project is to center Muslim voices and experiences in these troubling times where we’re often erased from narratives -even when they’re our own narratives. We want Muslim Voices Rise Up to be a public discussion among Muslim readers and writers about what is important for us. About our experiences both inside and outside of this community, our hopes and dreams, our fears, what kinds of stories we want and need.
We’ll be hosting a couple giveaways on Twitter of Muslim authored books (for readers) and query critiques (for writers). So you can find that as well as all the posts and tweets related to the topic under #MuslimVoicesRiseUp. Last but not least, we will be hosting a Twitter chat on the 26th of May about all things Muslim experiences under the hashtag #MVRUchat and we’d love for you to join us!!!
Considering the number of posts to cover during the next four weeks, we will be hosting on three different platforms:
- Mine, Word Wonders where you can find posts on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Adiba’s website where you can find posts on Sundays.
- Aimal’s Bookshelves and Paperbacks where you can find posts on Fridays.
Aimal is also behind our stunning event graphic, you can find her page here, and if you need anyone to work on your headers, logos, etc… she’s definitely someone you should check out.
- What being Muslim means to me.
- Favourite books by Muslim authors.
- Why #ownvoices Muslim stories are important.
- What drives me to Write.
- Muslim Fantasy authors in conversation. | Karuna Riazi & Nafiza Azad
- Muslim Fiction and our Real Life experiences. | Shereen Malherbe
- Experiences wearing the Hijab.
- A Glimpse at Black Muslim experiences.
- Navigating Mental Illness as Muslims. | Roundtable
- Self-care advice for Muslims in the current political climate.
- The queer Muslim experience. | Adiba Jaigirdar & I
- My relationship with my faith and sexuality (on asexuality) | Em Ali
- Being a white passing Muslim in a White Privilege world | Nadine Jolie Courtney
- How to be a good ally to Muslims| Ilsa & Nadia
- The Muslim diaspora experience | Zoulfa Katouh & Adiba Jaigirdar
That’s it until next time.
Hope you enjoyed, write to you soon.